The Webb School of Engineering at High Point University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty positions at all ranks in the Department of Computer Science. We seek a dynamic and visionary individual to enrich our current program and incorporate emerging areas of computer science, including cybersecurity, data science, and software engineering. Faculty are expected to help develop an innovative and cutting-edge curriculum and assist the department as it seeks ABET accreditation.
The successful candidate should have a demonstrated proficiency in and love of teaching, a propensity for scholarly achievement, an entrepreneurial spirit, and an interest in working with highly motivated undergraduate students. While outstanding applicants in all pertinent areas of Computer Science will be considered, preference will be given to candidates at the Assistant Professor level with expertise in cybersecurity or data science.
Applications will be reviewed beginning in August 2021, and the position will remain open until filled. Start date for the position is January 2022. High Point University is committed to diversity in hiring and is an equal opportunity employer.
Significant Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with faculty, students, and staff to help establish and maintain a long-term vision for the department that is consistent with the departmental, school, and university missions
- Comply with Departmental, School, University, System, and State rules and regulations
- Actively participate in curriculum development and revisions for the department
- Participate in review and assessment of academic programs offered by the department
- Participate in the development of new academic programs and projects when appropriate
- Participate in activities such as Open House, and other student retention and recruitment events as needed
- Participate in convocation and graduation events
- Participate in activities necessary to secure and maintain ABET accreditation
- Help recruit and retain students in the department's programs
- Provide student advising and reviews of degree progress
- Provide office hours to support student learning
- Teach 12 semester credit hours (typically three 4-credit courses) each Fall and Spring semester
- Participate in research and scholarly activities in the discipline
- Participate in department, university, and community service activities as appropriate
- An earned doctorate in computer science or closely related field is strongly preferred
- The field of specialization is open with a preference for research or teaching experience in cybersecurity or data science
Experience and Training
- Previous teaching experience at the college level is preferred
- Experience with ABET accreditation is highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills, Ability
- We especially seek candidates who are interested in working with highly motivated undergraduate students on real-world projects and purposeful research in a liberal arts setting
- Willingness to participate in ABET accreditation is expected
- Applicants for the rank of Assistant Professor are expected to demonstrate the potential for excellence in teaching, service, and research
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, service, and research. As well as prior experience designing and leading new curricular and programmatic initiatives at the university level, are expected for applicants seeking appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
- Faculty should expect to be engaged in scholarly activity and service to the department and the profession. Faculty interested in interdisciplinary activities are especially sought after.
- In addition to undergraduate teaching, the candidate is expected to advise undergraduate students, supervise senior capstone projects, develop and teach electives courses, engage in scholarly activity within the context of a teaching-oriented university, and serve the University and the School. This is an ideal position for educators who are passionate about teaching and who want to work at a student-centered institution where we strive for a balance of professional education within a liberal arts environment.